Saturday, January 6, 2007

"rain mama, rain"


Today as we were sitting inside, E started exclaiming "rain, mama, rain" it's been a very rare occasion in Australia, and it's even surprising that E knew what it was. It's been very hot this week, and that's one of the main reasons I haven't posted. We don't have central air, or a proper air conditioner. The room where the computers are gets the north sun, which is the hottest, plus two computers makes this room VERY HOT. The rain today was very welcome. E loves being outside, and was asking to go, so instead of saying, "no, it's raining" i said sure, let's go. We played outside in the rain for a good couple of hours. You can see the result of S being out in the rain in the photo above. He had a blast and actually ended up a lot dirtier than what the photo above shows. For some reason he has to taste everything, not just sticks, but he even climbed into the once fruitful, but now dead garden bed, and put his face down in the dirt to lick it. YUCK!

I've thought a lot about your reflections on being thankful. I too can really struggle with not being thankful. Then doing the opposite by getting bogged down in the daily mundane stuff, and get frustrated and angry over little things. The past week or so after the boys have gone to bed I have been reflecting on how blessed I am by these two little creatures. Even on the days when E wants to test me non-stop, I am blessed with the opportunity to raise two little children for Him. It is a huge privilege and each day that I've reflected I've been more thankful, and then more patient the following day.

Yesterday we were able to go to the beach in the afternoon, it was fun. I continue to enjoy the way that E and S are so different from one another. The beach we went to is where the Barwon River meets the ocean, it's called Barwon Heads. The water is quite shallow and the waves are few. Perfect for children. E liked to play more at the water's edge, while S wanted to go everywhere that his little arms and legs would carry him. He'd crawl in the water, across the water, out of the water, back into the water, and would even crawl far enough out into the water that he would have to stop and sit up because the water was starting to bob into his mouth. He doesn't get too phased about that sort of thing. He just wants to explore EVERYTHING. E is more about people, and watching people. We went to T's brother's 40th party a couple of nights ago. E sat in his high chair, with pizza in front of him (which he generally LOVES) and hardly ate a bite as he stared at all the people around him. Seemingly, taking in every little detail that occurred. It'll be interesting to see how they develop and I'm excited about how I can encourage their gifts as well as encourage them in the areas of life that they are not as naturally inclined to.

I feel like I have a lot to say, there has been a lot on my mind, but I don't want to make this too long of a post. I'll say one more thing. I've been thinking a lot about this verse: Psalm 51:17
17The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
A girl from our church sent this verse to me asking for prayer regarding pride. It was perfect timing in my own life because over these past few weeks I've become very aware of terrible pride in my own life, and the corrosion that it causes. This realization has left me feeling very broken, but a good broken. The sort of broken where you feel a break from that sin, and hopeful that God is going to renew me and change me. Not to say that I've felt a break from pride itself, but more so from some of the ways that pride works itself out in my life. I see that having a broken and contrite hearts keeps me ultimately dependent on Him as I struggle to overcome this sin in my life. I know also that I cannot "try harder" to overcome this sin, but that it is only through seeking Him and moment by moment confessing my weakness. I am thankful that He is so merciful and that there is real freedom and joy in having a broken heart. He is amazing, I know to an outsider of Christianity it would seem nonsense that there is joy in brokenness, but brokenness of myself means more of Him and He is the only giver of Joy. I want more of Him and less of me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home